FATCA imposes a 30% withholding tax on certain payments of U.S. source income (including interest, dividends, and U.S.-source insurance or reinsurance premium) to non-FATCA compliant counterparties.
AXIS has taken the necessary steps to ensure compliance with FATCA, and the relevant documentation in relation to the AXIS entities is included here for your convenience (Form W-8BEN-E for non US entities & Form W-9 for US entities).
Please note that Lloyds has completed a Form W-8IMY to cover the whole Lloyd's market including AXIS Syndicate 1686. This form is available via the following link:
Lloyd's Marketing Form W-8IMY - including AXIS Syndicate 1686
This form will need to be provided, on request, to brokers remitting US-source premium to AXIS Syndicate 1686.
Scroll down to find the forms to download.
Common Reporting Standard
- The Common Reporting Standard (CRS) is an information standard for the automatic exchange of information between tax jurisdictions (AEOI) which was developed by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). This is purely an information reporting tool for tax authorities from Financial Institutions and has no withholding tax obligation.
- The CRS came into effect on January 1, 2016.
- The CRS provides a common global approach for jurisdictions to obtain tax related financial information from financial institutions within their jurisdictions and provide the mechanism to automatically exchange that information with multiple jurisdictions on an annual basis.
- The CRS is a big step towards a globally coordinated approach to the disclosure of income earned by individuals and organisations. As a measure to counter tax evasion, it builds upon other information sharing legislation, such as FATCA (the US Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) and the European Union (EU) Savings Directive.
- All entities are classified under the CRS rules, the classification are broadly in line with FATCA and those entities classified as financial institutions i.e. banks will have more work to do than those classified as non-financial institutions.
- Due to the classification of AXIS' entities under CRS as a publicly traded non-financial institution there is no annual reporting requirement nor is AXIS a "reportable entity" by other institutions as AXIS falls into the exemption by virtue of being an entity "regularly traded on one or more established securities markets".
- AXIS however has a responsibility to complete CRS Self Certification Forms when requested by third parties (i.e. investment banks etc.). We note that these self-certification forms will vary in format and timing from jurisdiction/institution to jurisdiction/institution as the forms for certification, unlike the FATCA forms, have not been standardized.
In order to ensure compliance, please contact the Tax department if you require assistance completing the self-certifications requested by third parties.
AXIS Insurance Company
AXIS Insurance (Including Ternian Insurance Group LLC)
AXIS Reinsurance Company
AXIS Reinsurance Company (Including Canada Branch)
AXIS Specialty US Holdings
AXIS Specialty US Holdings (Including AXIS Specialty Finance LLC)
AXIS US Services Inc
AXIS US Services Inc (Including AXIS Specialty Canada Services ULC)
AXIS Capital Holdings Limited
AXIS Reinsurance Managers Limited
AXIS Specialty Holdings Bermuda Limited
AXIS Specialty Investment II Limited
AXIS Specialty Investments Limited
AXIS Specialty Limited
AXIS Specialty Markets II Limited
AXIS Specialty Markets Limited
AXIS Ventures Limited
AXIS Ventures Reinsurance Limited
Rest of World
AXIS Specialty UK Holdings Limited
AXIS Corporate Capital UK Limited
AXIS Managing Agency Limited
AXIS Specialty Finance PLC
AXIS Specialty Holdings Ireland Limited
AXIS Re SE including Swiss Branch
AXIS Specialty Europe SE (including UK & Australian Branches)
AXIS Specialty Global Holdings Limited
AXIS Re SE Escritorio de Representacao No Brasil Ltda
Aviabel RE SA
Novae Corporate Underwriting Limited
AXIS UK Services Limited
AXIS Underwriting Limited
General questions: FATCA Compliance
We'll keep it short.
Where are you located?
We'll get back to you soon.